Part of speech is a category to which a word is assigned in accordance with its syntactic functions. In English the main parts of speech are noun, pronoun, adjective, determiner, verb, adverb, preposition, conjunction, and interjection.
The Eight Main Parts of Speech in English
1. NOUN - (Naming word) A noun is the name of a person, place, thing or idea.
2. PRONOUN - (Replaces a Noun) A pronoun is used in place of a noun or noun phrase to avoid repetition.
3. ADJECTIVE - (Describing word) An adjective describes, modifies or gives more information about a noun or pronoun.
4. VERB - (Action Word) A verb shows an action or state of being. A verb shows what someone or something is doing.
5. ADVERB - (Describes a verb) An adverb describes/modifies a verb, an adjective or another adverb. It tells how, where, when, how
6. PREPOSITION - (Shows relationship) A preposition shows the relationship of a noun or pronoun to another word. They can indicate time, place, or relationship.
7. CONJUNCTION - (Joining word) A conjunction joins two words, ideas, phrases or clauses together in a sentence and shows how they are connected.
8. INTERJECTION - (Expressive word) An interjection is a word or phrase that expresses a strong feeling or emotion. It is a short exclamation.
Examples Part of Speech
1. NOUN - (Naming word) Examples of nouns : Daniel, London, table, dog, teacher, pen, city, happiness, hope Example sentences : Steve lives in Sydney. Mary uses pen and paper to write letters.
2. PRONOUN - (Replaces a Noun) Examples of pronouns : I, you, we, they, he, she, it, me, us, them, him, her, this, those Example sentences : Mary is tired. She wants to sleep. I want her to dance with me.
3. ADJECTIVE - (Describing word) Examples of Adjective : big, happy, green, young, fun, crazy, three Example sentences : The little girl had a pink hat.
4. VERB - (Action Word) Examples of verb : go, speak, run, eat, play, live, walk, have, like, are, is Example sentences : I like Woodward English. I study their charts and play their games.
5. ADVERB - (Describes a verb) Examples of Adverb : slowly, quietly, very, always, never, too, well, tomorrow, here Example sentences : I am usually busy. Yesterday, I ate my lunch quickly.
6. PREPOSITION - (Shows relationship) Examples of Preposition : at, on, in, from, with, near, between, about, under Example sentences : I left my keys on the table for you.
7. CONJUNCTION - (Joining word) Examples of Conjunction : and, or, but, because, so, yet, unless, since, if. Example sentences : I was hot and exhausted but I still finished the marathon.
8. INTERJECTION - (Expressive word) Examples of Interjection : Ouch! Wow! Great! Help! Oh! Hey! Hi! Example sentences : Wow! I passed my English test. Great! – Ouch! That hurt.