In this lesson, we are going to read a paragraph about problems in education on the U.S. and reflect upon the similarities and differences with our country. Then, we are going to learn strategies on how to structure a paragraph.
• Compare educational issues around the world to the Brazilian context.
• Reflect upon the selection of source material.
• Write a paragraph about educational issues following the rhetorical movements of introducing a topic, supporting ideas and concluding.
1) In pairs, discuss the following questions: a) What problems can you see in the Brazilian educational system? b) Do you think different countries have similar problems? Have you heard anything about it?
2) Read the following extract from an essay and discuss in pairs if you agree or disagree with the author.